Sunday, December 04, 2005

That Loving, Light Feeling

Tonight was one of those nights where the word exercise is the equivalent of a reserved fiery pit in hell for one, let alone the act of going through with the workout despite this. Luckily for me, I am one of those people that can read, albeit much slower than normal, while pumping away on the elliptical and that distracted me for two good 10 minute stretches of time so it wasn't as painful as it could have been otherwise. I only ended up with the additional 10 minutes, to complete my half hour, of countdown watching of those little digital numbers. However, in one of the lapses when my vision was becoming blurred from essentially hopping while reading, I realized that I'm so freaking light compared to before! I am by no means a light person quite yet, but I think tonight is one of the few times that I can actually feel the huge weight difference when doing something. It's quite a heady feeling really. It's difficult to describe the feeling but the closest thing would be removing a heavy backpack and doing an activity you do regularly with the backpack on. It's an incredible feeling of agility. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things I do now that just blow me away in how different it feels from sex to how I can curl my legs when lying down (yes I know it sounds strange) to how bony I feel in some places (especially in contrast to all that padding I had distributed evenly over my entire body); but it's rare to have these moments that catch you off guard when your body physically remembers being a way and feeling a way during an activity at your previous weight and at that moment you can feel the startling difference as if you are making the comparison right now between the two bodies simultaneously.

This little discovery also led me to further wondering about future things during those long 10 minutes. The most prominent thought being how difficult or long will it take me to adjust to a new body (one I've never had at a small size ever)? There are little things everyone does automatically, without true conscious thought, to adjust for our bodies in different spaces (for example: being overweight, you automatically size up a hallway and turn sideways to go down where necessary when faced with the situation), and I wonder how my subconscious will change to compensate for the "new" situations. More accurately, will I be thin and still turning to go down those same hallways? Or will my subconscious be quick to adjust and turn less each time until it's not necessary? Curious questions to me even though I realize they aren't consequential. Something to ponder nonetheless.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well my Dear Flavia. I quite like your writing and your musings. You are very eloquent. I can just feel you in there pondering over yourself, your life, the universe, where you fit and how you want to be in it. It is good that you do this thing, to write it down. It makes it more real. It gives others a chance to validate your experiences. It is a way to heal ourselves. This will be long as I want to "catch up" to your comments below:
1. I LOVE SHUSHI too!!! I used to go to a little place on Ball Road and Valley View. Ugishio or something like that. I dated the owner, Peter. He was so sweet to me. I would go in and order a Japanese beer and some yellow tail tuna. He would start making me gorgeous yummy outrageous items. He only charged me for what I ordered. We would close the place down then he'd want to go to dinner and dancing. More Japanese places and friends. It was 15 years ago and another life. I miss him.
2. One of the reasons I will NEVER go to LA again is the traffic. I used to commute from Corona to Vernon every day. I last visited in Jan of 02. I was appalled at the time wasted on the roads. I drive 9 miles to work thru cow pastures. It takes me about 15 minutes. I don't usually ever have to take a freeway and I don't unless I have to go into Portland. Only way is two different freeways to get across the Columbia.
3. Behold the power of Flavia as you unleash that supreme inner godess and let her run things. She knows what she wants, you listen to her. Don't you dare ever turn your body going down a hallway again. You deserve your space on this planet. Be a bitch and make others move out of your way.
4. Christmas is usually an agony of slow moving time filled with stress and pain for me. I'm working at changing that with my babies around me this year. I took this Friday off. I hope to get shopping done then to alleviate some of the stress and pressure. There is a Christmas parade of boats on the Columbia River that is a HUGE part of things in this neck of the world. I've been invited to go on one of the boats. We have events planned with the girls. I want to feel better about it this year, so I shall.
5. I so admire you. I feel close to you in ways I don't with other posters on the boards. I am so happy for you and the changes you are bringing forth, the seeking of self you are doing. I wish I had started younger in my quest. I wish you all the best and will continue to read your blog and cheer you on.
You go girl, catch me if you can.
Susan
340/249.6/170

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the fact that youre experiencing this Flav, and I am so glad everything is going so well. I am sure you will gradually adjust subconsciously as to what is necessary and unnecessary - in the sense of physical response to things around you. I would'nt be surprised if you reach the smallest size you've ever been since you were 15 by next Christmas. It must feel great to feel so light and able to do things... I love you "Faya"

~Nani

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home